Sunday, September 11, 2011

It's been ten years since the world changed forever

I wrote this post four years ago and I thought I'd bump it back up.......

I'm sure everyone can remember where they were and what they were doing on September 11/2001.

I worked on the afternoon shift at the time and was driving to play tennis in the morning with a friend. On my way to the courts there was a news bulletin about a plane flying into the World Trade Center. At the time I assumed it was a traffic plane and went on my merry way.

After returning to the car after playing tennis is when I learned of the magnitude of this event. Sitting in my car, I was shocked, terrified and numb. (As I sit here typing I'm getting goosebumps just remembering that moment).

I arrived home and turned on the TV to see that familiar image of the plane flying into the second tower.....OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER. Those images are still so fresh after all these years.

Like most people I was glued to the TV for days, mourning with the rest of America and not knowing what was going to happen from one day to the next. The few days of eerily empty blue skies a constant reminder.

On this day, 9/11 I remember all those who lost their lives---the heroes who risked their lives to save others----the men and women who've gone to war to fight for freedom.

I'll never forget 9-11, the day the world changed forever.

Photo taken at the site of the WTC on my trip to NYC in September 2005.

1 comment:

Holly A said...

Jen, what a moving post, and a tremendously powerful photo. I've been meaning to come back and comment on this ever since I read it on Sept 11th. Thanks for sharing it.