Thursday, July 24, 2008

Feeling a bit artistic


I was really busy this week practicing my colouring skills on this Thomas Kinkade image (Make a Wish Cottage) by Cornish Heritage Farms. I'm quite happy with how it turned out for my first attempt at a detailed stamp. I guess all those high school art classes paid off after all LOL!

I coloured the image primarily using Prismacolor Premier artist pencils and blended the colours with Gamesol and blending stumps. I found the trick to colouring in this stamp was to apply colours in layers and build them up to achieve the finished look. I also applied colour over the entire image including the parts of the stamp that was really dark---it adds to the overall look of the stamp. It also helps to have a lot of different pencils to chose from which had me running to Curry's Art supply store a few times this week LOL! I did use some pink Copic markers on some of the flowers due to my lack of pink pencils.

After completing the colouring it was time to figure out how to put this into a project. First I added a layer of Plaid paper glaze paint (similar to Glossy Accents) to the completed image. My intent was to allow it to dry and then crack it to give it a vintage look but I didn't apply enough of the glaze to do so and I didn't want to add more in case I ruined the image. So I was left with a stamped imaged with a really glossy surface. It almost looks like a porcelain painted plate IRL and the slight sepia tint to the glaze really polishes off the look IMO. I mounted the image on a spellbinders scalloped die cut (created by gluing two squares together to form a rectangle) and then used some Basic Grey papers for my card. I finished it off with some Prima flowers, Offray ribbon and a wood button. The sentiment is from the Kim Hughes Silhouettes II set also from Cornish Heritage Farms.

To stamp the original image I used Ranger Adirondack Pitch Black stamping ink. It gave me the crispest image and still left enough "white space" in the stamp for colouring.

Although this card took longer than my average card, it certainly won't be my last Kinkade coloured card!

1 comment:

Seanna said...

This is really, really pretty. I hadn't really cared much for these until I saw how you did yours. Well done!