Monday, September 15, 2008

Did you notice my new blog header?

Today's CHF Chick Challenge was to create a custom blog header. I've always wanted to do a scrappy one (e.g. out of paper), so what better opportunity to give it a shot! For those of you who user readers, here's a photo of the header that I added to my blog.


It's not as hard as you might think. Basically you create a mini layout (mine is 8 inches wide by about 4.5 inches tall), scan it and upload it. I actually added my title and lettering using Photoshop because I didn't really want to cut out THAT many letters. You could easily use letter stickers, die cuts or whatever you want if you want a 100% "paper" blog header.

Be sure to check out all the new blog headers by these CHF girls: Lesley and Kristine

AND don't forget to post your project in the CHF gallery and challenge forum here.

Instructions:
1. Cut a base sheet of cardstock or paper. I used a 8 inch wide by approximately 4.5 inches tall. I probably should have gone a bit wider (maybe 10 inches) but I was using the 8 x 8 Mocha Chica papers.

2. Create a mini scrapbook layout on your base. You can embellish as you wish, add photos or whatever you want. For mine, I left some "white space" so I could add my title with text in photoshop. You could easily scrap the entire thing and overlay your text or even use stickers or die cuts as I mentioned.

3. Scan or photograph your project. I scanned mine on a regular 8.5 x 11 scanner at 600 dpi (300 would be fine but I always scan higher in case I want to re size).

4. Crop and adjust your header in photoshop. At this point you can adjust it as you wish, add digital elements and even add your own text. Save as a jpeg.

5. Upload your header. In Blogger, this is SUPER easy. Just click "layout" tab. You should "Add and Arrange Page Elements". Click "edit" where your current header is. In this screen you can upload the new header from your computer (be sure to click on "instead of title"). Blogger automatically resizes it for you! Easy Peasy!!


Supplies:
Papers: Kim Hughes Mocha Chica papers by Cornish Heritage Farms

Stamps: Kim Hughes Pretty Birds by Cornish Heritage Farms

Accessories: Prima flowers, buttons, Copic Markers (for colouring)

Font: 2 Peas Goofball

10 comments:

Kristine Reynolds said...

I LOVE your new blog header Jen! Great job on the challenge!

Julie Campbell said...

this turned out really great!!! I love the new look!

Angelnorth said...

Excellent - great job with the challenge Jen! I think I'd have opted for adding the words with the computer with a blog title as long as yours too!

Dawn said...

this just turned out so cute Jen!!!

Becky said...

What a wonderful header Jen!!!
B-

Kim Hughes said...

looks awesome Jennifer...I love it!!!

Anthonette said...

What a great challenge. I love the header you created! I need to think about creating one. My blog header is boring.

Susan said...

Love the header!!

Silvergirl said...

Fantastic job! You really inspired me to get crackin' on mine!

hugs,
lise

Holly A said...

Love the new blog header, Jen!