Friday, November 19, 2010

Through the Looking Glass on Bellarific Friday

I picked up this awesome new Alice stamp from Stamping Bella a few weeks ago and I couldn't wait to try her out.

I've been playing around a bit lately with some watercolouring techniques and took the plunge to paint Alice.  I must say that I *LOVE* the way she turned out and it was so fast and easy!!  Please scroll down under the photo for more details on how I coloured her if you're interested.

The card was created using this week's Stamping Bella Bellarific Friday sketch and I used a rub on on the tea cup as my sentiment. 

P.S.  Due to the crappy winter lighting conditions (and the fact that I'm at work during the daylight hours during the week) I have tried scanning this card instead of photographing it.  I did lose a bit of the shimmer on the satin ribbon but overall I think it's a bit better than a poorly lit photo (hope you agree!!)








































I stamped the image on some watercolour paper (I use the Curry's Art Supply store brand paper ----140 lb cold pressed) in Palette Noir ink.  Then I used my Peerless watercolor papers for the clothing and hair and a Lyra watercolour pastel for the skin. 

First I dampened the part of the image I wanted to colour with some water (a VERY light application) and then applied the Peerless paints.  The paint wicks itself from dark to light on the pre dampened paper (so make sure you stay in the lines LOL!).

If you're not familiar with Peerless watercolor papers you really need to check them out....they are *WAY* cool!!  Essentially they come as sheets of pigment in a book.  All you have to do is take a damp brush (I use an aquapainter) and touch it to the surface for a really rich pigment.  I dabbed the brush onto a paper towel first and then applied it to the image, pulling the brush and colour from dark to lighter.  Once I got the hang of how the paint behaves it really took me less than 5 minutes to finish the image.  The portability of the Peerless paint book makes it really easy to craft on the go......throw the Peerless book in your purse with an aquapen and some stamped images and you can paint anywhere!!

Supplies:
Stamp:  Alice by Christy Croll from Stamping Bella
Papers:  Watercolour paper (Curry's Art Supply), We R Memory Keepers
Ink:  Palette Noir
Accessories:  Kaisercraft rub on sentiment, Offray ribbon, button, Fiskars border punch, Peerless water color papers

2 comments:

Laura O'Donnell said...

the painting looks great!

Cath said...

Awww! What a cute, sweet card! :)