Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Penny Black Vellum window card

As I've probably mentioned before, what I love about participating in challenges is that it really pushes you to try new things and techniques.  A few week's back, the Penny Black blog weekly challenge was to use vellum on a project and that's exactly what I did.

For my first attempt at colouring on vellum, I stamped the image in black ink and then tried colouring on the reverse side of the vellum as to not have my stamping ink bleed.  So the completed project image would essentially be a mirror image as you would flip it over to the other side efore putting it on your project.  I liked the look but the colours I chose were too muted so I tried option 2.....

I stamped my image in black ink and then heat embossed it with some clear powder to give me some solid "lines" to colour in (as the Copic ink doesn't really soak into the vellum and just gets pushed around the paper).  The image turned out like a stained glass image with the embossed lines keeping the colour exactly where I wanted it.  The one thing I found when colouring on the vellum with my Copics is that you really can't blend that well (at least with the type of vellum I used) so the key for me was to just keep with one shade and try to use even strokes to keep the colours even.  For my completed image, I created a window card so that you can see the transparency of the coloured image. 

Thanks for stopping by!


Supplies:
Stamp: Hedgehog Birthday (40-016) by Penny Black
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Papers: Cosmo Cricket, The Paper Company cardstock, Vellum, October Afternoon
Accessories: Twill ribbon, Recollections flower, Copic markers, Stampendous clear embossing powder, Maya Road trim

1 comment: