Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bright birthday wishes

Good morning!  Today I have a nice bright and cheerful birthday card to share with you.



For this card I got out the watercolours to paint my flower images.  As I have mentioned before, my paints of choice are my Peerless watercolor papers (which can be purchased in Canada at Curry's Art Supply---where I buy a lot of my supplies including Copics).  See how the blue centers fade to white in the middle?  Well, to achieve this look I lightly wet the whole center with my water pen and then just painted around the edges with the blue paint.  The water draws the paint into the center by itself to create that look.  If I want to darken the edges, I just go back with more paint.

It's a bit difficult to tell in the photo but the blue cardstock is Bazzill bling cardstock and has a nice shimmer to it.  For something a little different I debossed the image so that it's indented rather than sticking out (o.k. I totally screwed up and put it in the embossing folder backwards but I think it looks great hee hee).

Supplies:
Stamps:  Mixed Middles Flower set from Purple Onion Designs (see Stephanie Ackerman section once no longer in New Release section), Birthday Wishes sentiment (#HOP02) from POD
Ink:  Palette Noir (works well for watercolouring)
Papers:  Watercolour paper from Curry's Art supply, Bazzill cardstock
Accessories:  Peerless watercolor papers, Stickles, Fiskars Edge punch, Cuttlebug embossing folder
Sketch:  CPS #217

9 comments:

tina werner said...

so bright and cheerful! love it jen!

Wendy ten Hove said...

This is pretty!!! Love the colors, those flowers look gorgeous!!
Hugs, Wendy

Mieke said...

LOVE IT...

Lea L. said...

This is so bright and cheery! I love the reversed embossed background, and those flowers are so colorful and fun!! Thanks for playing at CPS this week! ♥♥♥

michib said...

Beautiful bright card! Thanks for the technique tip for the watercolours.

donna mikasa said...

Such a cheery card, Jennifer! Love the fun colors!

Jen said...

This is so bright and cheerful! Love it!

Scrap~tures said...

I was just going to say what the last poster said, so bright and cheerful!

Tami Mayberry said...

Awesome card! Love the bright cheery colors/flowers and the embossing. Thanks for joining us at CPS.