Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Creating some autumn decor using Ranger Distress Stains

This month the design team at Purple Onion Designs was challenged to create a Thanksgiving themed decor item.  Since Thanksgiving was last month up here in Canada, I opted to create a fall themed decoration for my fireplace mantel.

I love the smell of scented candles and have several of the large jar style.  The label on the jars are rather retail looking when you leave it sitting out, so I created a canvas wrap with an autumn theme using the fall Noteblock stamp and some distress inks and stains.  The wrap easily slides on and off so you could create a new one for each season (and also I would recommend removing it temporarily if you’re burning the candle *just in case* since it’s made of fabric and paper)

To create the wrap I ripped a strip of canvas fabric (I like the more rustic look to the edge versus just cutting) and stamped all over with a pumpkin stamp in orange distress ink.  Then I added a border of scallops of fall paper to the top and bottom using fabric glue before sewing the back closed.  I tied some raffia around the wrap before adding the stamped panel and embellishments. 

For the Noteblock panel, I took some of my yet-to-be opened Tim Holtz Distress Stains, applied them to my craft mat and used it as a stamp pad of sorts.  Because the stain is watery you will miss out on some of the details of the stamp but I love all the different colours together on the one stamp.  You could easily use the same technique with the regular Distress Inks and a spritz of water if you don’t have the stains.  To finish off the wrap, I added a fall flower with a wood button center as well as a twine bow.

Happy early Thanksgiving to all my American readers J



Supplies:
Stamps:  Fall Noteblock from Purple Onion Designs, Pumpkins (Michele Clement stamps) from Purple Onion Designs
Ink:  Ranger Distress Stains (Forest Moss, Fired Brick and Wild Honey), Ranger Distress Inks (Dried Marigold)
Paper:  Georgia Pacific cardstock, Provo Craft fall themed paper
Accessories:  Canvas (fabric store), raffia, wood button, fall flower, twine, Spellbinders die, craft mat

No comments: